Capsida Biotherapeutics, Inc. is a fully integrated AAV engineering and gene therapy company poised to create the next generation of innovative genetic therapies with life-changing potential for patients with grievous unmet medical needs. We leverage our proprietary high-throughput, data science driven AAV engineering platform to create viral vectors with cell-type and tissue level specificity, overcoming many of the biological limitations of early gene therapy efforts. Combined with our in-house preclinical and manufacturing expertise, we are positioned to create the next generation of AAV delivered gene therapies, dramatically changing the lives of patients.
Scientist, Computational Biology and Machine Learning:
Capsida Biotherapeutics is seeking a Data Scientist with extensive Machine Learning (ML) expertise to join our expanding Data Science team. We are searching for a driven, enthusiastic and self-motivated individual who is comfortable multitasking and working independently on various aspects of the platform. The position requires a strong technical background in machine learning and computational biology with an emphasis on utilizing and developing novel methods for engineering the next generation of AAV capsids. These capsids will be improved in their tissue and cell-type specificity. This individual will contribute scientific, technical, and leadership expertise to a multidisciplinary team, emphasizing conceptualization, experimentation, data analysis, presentation, and strategic planning.
The candidate will also be responsible for establishing and documenting the workflow for data analytics platforms from analysis through visualization. The successful candidate will represent The Data Science Team in multiple cross-functional team projects and will have the opportunity to enable the next generation of gene therapy development using Machine Learning and AI computational biology approaches.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- The successful candidate will work both independently and as part of a collaborative team to develop data analysis and machine learning solutions to understand and interpret multi-platform profiling data
- Design and implement new analytical approaches to engineer and evolve capsid avidity and specificity, based on internal and external data sources
- Process, analyze, and interpret data for a wide variety of biological and clinically relevant projects to generate statistically motivated research hypotheses.
- Establish a strong foundation for machine learning capabilities and provide company-wide expertise
- Drive external collaborations where necessary to augment internal capabilities.
- Collaborate closely with experimental scientists to ensure that data is effectively utilized for high level impact.
Education and skills requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree plus 5 years of industry experience, Master's degree plus 3 years of industry experience or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Bioinformatics, Mathematics or equivalent field
- 7+ years of progressive work experience in a data science discipline
- Ability to apply scientific principles in a broad range of technical assignments, making independent decisions based on sound scientific reasoning and analysis
- Demonstrated leadership as applied to the management of complex technical projects
- Hands-on programming experience (Python, R, etc) along with a solid understanding of statistical and machine learning models.
- Experience in implementing statistical learning methods or deep learning frameworks to solve problems.
- Experience with Agile development methods
- Excellent communication and effective problem-solving skills; track record in serving a variety of diverse customers and projects
- Experience with Statistics, Data Mining, Machine Learning, Data Visualization, Cloud Computing, and Distributed Systems. Experience with AWS environments preferred.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize within an interdisciplinary environment that includes (data) scientists, analysts, business stakeholders and consultants
Compensation and Benefits:
The well-being of our employees and their families is of the highest importance. As such, we offer a competitive salary and exceptional benefits, including generous stock options, medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and significant PTO.
Additionally, we offer:
· Relocation compensation
· Fully stocked kitchen
· Social lunches, happy hours, and other events on a regular basis
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local laws