A large Government body are seeking an experienced Data Scientist on an initial 6 month contract, inside IR35 regulations and based remotely for the foreseeable but may have some ad hoc travel as and when required.
You will work in the Product Delivery Team and be responsible for delivering data preparation, build, analysis and dashboard products to a range of stakeholders. You will support the assessment response teams by providing current data, information and analysis. Develop access to new data sources and information through engagement with research, academia and wider government and private sector organisations. You will be utilising data from a multitude of sources to develop data science and visualisation products for a variety of stakeholders.
You will analyse and document requirements turning these into usable data and visualisation products for publication and analysis. The team is made up of multidisciplinary members working at pace on specific products and problems.
Skills required include: data science, data visualization, domain expertise and a diverse approach to working with problems.
Data Scientists are recognised problem solvers and employ their technical and analytical expertise with cutting-edge techniques, defining analytical solutions that can be employed across the organisation and support effective decision making. Data Scientists adopt best practice wherever possible. They communicate with senior stakeholders and convince them of the strategic value of applying data science.
Data Scientists within the Joint Biosecurity Centre and NHS Test and Trace can be expected to support work across the following areas:
- Provide analysis and assessment to Covid-19 outbreaks;
- Set the COVID-19 Alert level;
- Provide Local Authorities, Directors of Public Health (DPH) and the Public Health England network with analysis and assessment to identify the likelihood of infection flare-ups in their areas;
- Compile evidence, including area and population context, influencers, early signals, outbreak indicators, and direct Test and Trace result data;
- Perform hypothesis testing and analysis to understand the effectiveness of the Test and Trace system and other types of intervention;
- Create live dashboards to present data and analysis, including performance monitoring for Test and Trace or indicating changes in infection rates across the UK;
- Engage with partners in wider government, academia and the private sector to gain access to new data sources and information
- Experience of Project Leadership
- Data engineering and manipulation
- Data science innovation
- Developing data science capability
- Domain expertise
- Programming and build (data science)
- Problem resolution
- Understanding analysis across the product life cycle (data science)
- Experience leading and delivering Data Science analyses and projects
- Ability to mentor data scientists in best practice
- Ability to work at pace to deadlines across multiple projects
- Ability to effectively communicate the results of analysis to senior stakeholders and decision makers
- Strong understanding and experience in applying statistics and data science techniques to real world problems
- Strong experience with Python, SQL, Spark, AWS and/or R for Data Science including the core scientific Python stack (pandas, numpy, matplotlib etc) and/or R stack (ggplot2, tidyverse etc)
- Experience cleaning data for machine learning projects
- Ability to write functions and understandable object orientated code
- Understanding of software best practice, including confident use of version control using platforms such as Github
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve numerical and technical problems
- High attention to detail
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills evidenced through verbal and written means to a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience with publishing data sets for visualisation and analysis
- Experience with supporting design of data models / data flows
- Experienced working in Agile teams
- Ability to work as part of a team to develop and deliver end-to-end analytical and visualisation solutions
- Works effectively and proactively with wider BI / IT teams internally and externally to support the delivery of fast paced projects
- Ability to apply appropriate prioritisation and good time management skills to deliver work to standard and deadline
- Excellent communication skills that promote an effective and collaborative team-working environment
- Analytical skill set with an ability to understand data and analysis requirements and support the development of data solutions
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to work effectively in a team and independently
Desirable skills / experience / knowledge:
- Experience in delivering end-to-end BI solution from requirements
- Experience developing Qlik Sense dashboards
- Experience automating build of MS PowerPoint slide decks
- Experience of working with JIRA (or Azure DevOps or similar tools) within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Experience/understanding of product lifecycle management
- Applied maths, statistics, and scientific practices
- Understanding of how algorithms are designed, optimised and applied at scale
- Exposure to Dashboarding tools (ideally Power BI or Qlik)
- Working with cloud-based platforms (we use AWS, Azure and Databricks)
- Experience with computational statistics tools and / or Machine Learning frameworks such as PyTorch and TensorFlow
- Exposure to graph analytics tools (we use NetworkX and GraphX)
- Exposure to writing 'production level' code
- Educated to degree level. Relevant numerate, technical or computer science discipline would be an advantage.
Please get in touch with Lauren Pocknell at Investigo to find out further information.