This is an important role and reports into the Finance Director. It is ideally suited for a commercially minded and proactive finance professional. The role requires someone who can exercise initiative, demonstrate independence of thought and behaviour and have the flexibility and competence to deal with a range of different challenges, projects and stakeholders.
This role leads and manages the following teams: Middle office and Product control (6 people); Finance & Accounting (8 people). The overall Finance function is currently 22 people in total and consists of Middle Office, Finance & Accounting, Treasury, Credit and Tax.
- Oversee the preparation of the P&L, BS and monthly accounts for the business and its subsidiaries to ensure accuracy and completeness and their timely submission to Group.
- Review, streamline and enhance the Risk P&L versus Finance P&L at month end to ensure transparency and consistency.
- Analytical review of monthly P&L to substantiate key drivers to the business and market performance.
- Lead the implementation of new business reporting and integration of accounting systems alongside the accurate consolidation of the results.
- Assist and oversee month end accounting process and submission of relevant reports to head office for all entities.
- Be the technical and subject matter expert for UK GAAP and IFRS and key technical accounting topics such as business combinations for new acquisitions, liquidations and IFRS and UK GAAP differences.
- Review key regulatory submissions such as corporation tax, VAT and Duty.
- Leading external and internal audit through to successful completion.
- Leading the preparation of statutory financial statements through to signing.
- Oversee the preparation of the budgeting and forecasting process.
- Maintaining continuous improvement of financial processes and activities.
- Implement best practices to standardise tasks and processes to increase efficiency
- Delivering enhanced management information whilst working closely with Group Finance to optimise the end-to-end process.
- Business partnering with Group Finance to achieve best practices across the global business.
- Building relationships with all stakeholders
- Support the production of regular monthly management accounting information and reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for all accounting transactions including MTM of inventory, derivatives, FX under IAS39.
- Assist in the implementation of a full front to back interface of systems
- The provision of regular monthly financial and management accounting information to enable the organisation to plan, forecast, manage and report it's financial position.
- Improving and standardizing month end processes to improve efficiency and controls
- Liaise closely with all departments to keep abreast of business developments that could affect the accuracy and reporting of the financials.
- Preparation and consolidation of annual budget and strategy document/presentation
- Responsible for the preparation of financial statements under UK GAAP and IFRS.
- Lead the delivery of projects and process improvements as required
- Managing and developing the team.
- Ensuring all standard finance operating processes, procedures and policies are maintained and up to date.
Middle Office and Product Control
- Serve as a risk and controls subject matter expert/ leader within the business.
- Continuously review the controls of the front office system and end to end to process with the aim to simplify and ensure appropriate segregation of duties.
- The UK lead for key P&L and process transformation projects with the Group.
- Provide business support and oversight on complex trade structures and bookings.
- Assess and be able to challenge the accuracy and aptness of mark to market valuations and the corresponding P&L and positions reported.
- Assist in the designing and implementing of improvement and enhancements to valuation models, risk management and processes.
- Support the integration of new initiatives
- Understanding the key differences to Finance P&L with the aim to revise P&L models to reduce volatility
- Leading improvements to reduce the month end close timeline whilst maintaining quality and integrity of data.
- Automation of the P&L and daily processes
- Improve the trade booking and capture process. liaising with front office and operations to ensure Day 1 P&L is reported accurately.
- Lead the UK Finance and Product control team by setting a high standard and clear expectations.
- ACA, ACCA qualified with audit experience from the Big Four.
- Experience in the oil and energy sector and commodities, split between Finance and Risk roles.
- Significant hands on experience (> 10 years)
- Commodities Product control and middle office experience
- Full management and control of an end to end finance and accounting system.
- Deep familiarity with Front office risk and controls
- Excellent communicator
- Commercial and analytical mindset
- Ability to work in a fast- paced environment with a pragmatic and agile mindset
- Advanced MS Office and Excel skills.
- Experience of SAP accounting and trading systems preferred
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.