Investigo are currently partnered with a London based Energy business who are looking to hire a middle office manager for their London based finance team.
This is a broad and challenging role for an ambitious, commercially-minded professional and requires one to exercise initiative, demonstrate independence of thought and behaviour and to have the flexibility and competence to deal with a range of different challenges.
The role involves working closely with and maintaining strong relationships with all areas of the business including Management, Trading, Marketing, Accounting, Operations, Treasury, and Back Office.
Middle Office Department:
Excluding the management role, the team currently consists of four members: two Product Control Analysts, one ETRM Support Analyst and a Risk Intern. The key responsibilities of the team are outlined below.
Responsibilities of Product Control Analysts & Risk Intern:
- Preparation of the Position Exposure, Daily P&L and FX reporting. Providing commentary for key risk exposures and material P&L movements; both internally and to central risk team.
- Running all prerequisite checks for daily risk reporting including:
- Reconciliation of paper positions and open trade equity to external clearing broker statements
- Validation of physical spot and term contracts
- Entry of spot FX prices
- Validation of Prices & Curves
- Overseeing the closing of the accounting period within the ETRM system as well as month end reporting to finance to ensure that transactions reported daily P&L reporting translate into the financial results.
- Developing an understanding of each desk's profit and loss across the month, as well as the strategies, contracts and derivatives traded
- Proactive approach to process improvements and problem identification and resolution on a timely basis.
- Assisting Front Office, Back Office and management with ad hoc queries.
- Champion for internal controls, particularly accuracy of data within ETRM systems.
- Documentation of middle office business process and production of middle office training materials
- Participation in internal ETRM and risk projects.
- Deal amendment processes.
Responsibilities of ETRM Support Analyst:
- Identify and prioritizes improvements within RightAngle (ETRM System) which add highest value; for all areas of the business.
- Management of relationship with Capspire technical consultants and account manager as well as Openlink support teams and account manager.
- Overseeing release and deployments to production environments.
- Support and problem solving skills around ETRM system to all users.
- Reference data management.
Responsibilities of Middle Office Manager:
- Assist in the design and implementation of risk projects for new business and to enhance existing system capabilities. This should include improving the accuracy of New trade P&L and effective lifecycling.
- Assist in the drive for continuous improvement of Systems/Processes: Reducing manual intervention and adopting straight-through processing with the aim of being able to generate daily P&L from the front office system.
- Assist in the standardisation and automation of daily P&L and Management reporting. With emphasis on detail P&L attribution.
- Monitor the daily FX and delta positions with the aim to challenge exposures and recommend risk management best practices
- Overseeing the production of robust, accurate and timely data to give management visibility of what is driving the business results.
- Support the team on resolution of complex issues arising on day to day activities.
- Support the Head of Finance and Risk to align on strategic vision and best practices
- Overseeing compliance with risk trading mandate, risk policy as well as reviewing delegation of authority process. Ensuring relevant members of staff have signed and agreed to trading agreements.
- Assist in group risk projects e.g. ETRM strategy and group Risk Framework projects.
- Ensuring compliance to GDPR as the designated Reporting Officer for the UK Business.
Education and qualifications:
- Strong Academics (2:1 minimum in analytical degree)
- 3-4 years senior risk/product control analyst
- Physical commodities experience
- Line management experience preferable