A public sector organisation are seeking a Senior Technical Project Manager to join their team. Full details below:
Job Title: Senior Technical Project Manager
Job Family: ICT
Reports To: Technical Programme Management Lead
Band level: 4U
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The overall purpose of the role is to: manage large and complex ICT Projects including assets & resources within Project scope. To ensure that Projects are well managed and controlled to make most efficient use of allocated resources, and maximise delivery of business benefits within Projects, Programmes and/or wider Portfolio.
b. KEY ACCOUNTABILITY AREAS: Define the important aspects of the role for which the job holder is responsible for results or outcomes. The key result areas in the role are as follows:
1. Work with the Technical Programme Lead and other senior executives & business representatives, to develop and maintain allocated Project(s) (covering one or more Forces) to ensure technical development/delivery, resourcing and vendor management planning is up to date and accurate.
2. Collaborate with the ICT Pillars; Architecture, Business Services, Governance & Assurance, Technology Services and Application Services to ensure project(s) fit with approved architectures are secure, can be operated / managed and supported in a cost effective manner.
3. Responsible for ensuring that the assigned large and/or complex project, including in-house developments, within the overall ICT Portfolio (including the ICT elements of business programmes and projects) deliver the desired outcomes (timescales, costs, quality and benefits enablement).
4. Responsible for the efficient management of the allocated project budget to ensure the project is managed within budget constraints.
5. Manage allocated projects to deliver required business elements in addition to the technical aspects, including the development and implementation of new or revised business processes.
6. Work with the project board, ICT managers and business managers to ensure all force stakeholders have a clear understanding of the planned project deliverables, it's progression and any variations.
7. Manage ICT suppliers contracted to support the project to ensure they deliver the desired outcomes (timescales, costs, quality and benefit enablement).
8. Ensure ICT change is appropriately tested to ensure the quality of ICT change delivered to the business, minimise disruption to the business and that business benefits are fully enabled.
9. Ensure ICT project(s) are appropriately managed, including all aspects of planning, risks, issues and inter-dependencies.
10. Ensure appropriate documentation and training is produced and delivered by each project (to agreed standards) to ensure the business users are able to operate and ICT Service Delivery are able to operate, manage & support (at acceptable costs) the resulting ICT systems/changes and thereby deliver the business benefits.
11. Instil and develop a culture of continuous development for line reports and the wider team through; training and development and the PDR process, motivating, effective workload planning, monitoring employee welfare and quality assurance of work standards. Take prompt and reasonable action to address performance below required standards in line with the relevant Force procedure.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ROLE
Expertise: Concerned with the level of administrative, professional and/or technical expertise (knowledge and skills) needed to perform the role effectively; may be acquired through experience, specialised training, and/or professional or specialist education and training. The knowledge or skills required in the role are as follows:
1. Subject matter expert in the management of ICT Projects.
2. Experienced Senior ICT Project Manager having managed large and complex ICT projects in a similarly complex environment using an industry recognised approach such as PRINCE 2, including the following range of knowledge and skills:
a. Proficient in Budgets
b. Proficient in Project Management
c. Proficient in Resource Allocation
d. Project Risk Management - The effective and efficient management of risk within the project.
e. Has an industry wide understanding of IT Architecture, Networks, Cloud Technologies & Infrastructure.
3. Significant experience managing technical projects
4. PRINCE 2 practitioner
5. Experience of managing projects with budget and benefits in excess of £1m
6. Expert in Project Planning and Control Techniques Methods and techniques associated with planning and monitoring progress of projects e.g. product / work breakdown structures, baselining, critical path analysis, earned value, resource analysis, conflict resolution.
7. Experience of achieving significant outcomes through influence and persuasion rather than through direct line authority.
8. Excellent communication skills - written and oral, customer focussed, team-worker, who is a flexible, adaptable, problem solver and able to work systematically and with little direct supervision.
9. Experience of developing and delivering projects in similar sized & complex organisations.
10. Proven experience of managing staff in a matrix structure during significant organisational and structural change.
11. Must have capability to travel to different locations across the Forces. Due to the requirement to work flexibly, unsocial hours and personal safety for lone working; public transport may not be available or suitable at these times. For this reason a full UK driving licence is considered essential.*
12. Expert in Project Management Tools to assist in the project management process by automating mechanical tasks such as scheduling, resource balancing, and time recording. Tools and techniques for risk management e.g. Project Workbench, Microsoft Project (desirable).
13. Subject matter expert in the management of ICT Programme Management (desirable).
14. Experience of IS0 9001, ISO 27001, ITIL (desirable).