Director of Software Engineering opportunity working for a Global business. UK based, remote with travel to the Midlands as required. This is a Technology organisation at the forefront of the healthcare and pharmaceutical market creating industry leading technology solutions that ultimately save lives.
You will report into the Global Director of Engineering and lead the most high-profile, complex and highest revenue generating product line that the business operates. You will lead a team of over 100 engineers, with a resource plan made up of a mix of internal development teams and outsourced development centres. You will be accountable for delivery, quality, control of budget, strategic planning, resource management and driving continual improvement across your teams including having the responsibility for managing multiple vendors and vendor delivery.
The role has 4 key concurrent challenges:
- Replacement of an existing and bespoke platform with a new system fit for the future. The replacement of this system will be key to the organisations ability to bring new services to market in the fastest possible time.
- Maintaining and in some cases extending the existing platform whist the new system is in construction. You will therefore have the demonstrable ability to build the new whilst effectively and efficiently running the old.
- Establish a new operating approach fit for now and the future without slowing the progress of today. This will see you establish a new delivery base for the engineering team, managing the transition without interruption to service continuity.
- Manage a transition from one technology set (bespoke Java) to a new technology set (COTS integrated / Azure)
- Experience in managing large systems transformations in a multi-vendor landscape
- Experiencing in managing complex transitions from one platform to another with no loss of service or impact to the operational/sales businesses
- Experience of managing vendors and vendor delivery as part of a complex systems integration programme - a strong systems integration background is therefore preferable
- Solution thinking - taking responsibility for all aspects of a solution deployment
- Ability to build relationships at all layers of the business, can think strategically and can interact with the c-suite
- Experience of building operating procedures and helping all departments to align around a single mission
- Experience in building and transforming departments (team structures, location changes, resource operating models)
This is an exciting and transformative Director of Software Engineering opportunity and a rare example of being able to join a market leader with strong financials and truly make your mark.
The organisation is happy for this position to be remote and based anywhere in the UK, there will be a need in the future to do occasional International travel and be in the Midlands HQ 1-2 days a week.